Whelp... it's been a doozy of a week! I've been home in Texas since Monday to be with my family during my grandfather's passing. It's weeks like this past that put everything into perspective and leave you emotionally drained but also re-filled. What a gift life is. My grandfather was such an incredible man. I am ending this week feeling inspired. If I amount up to half the person he was in his morals, work ethic and character I will consider my life a success. Cheers to you, Grandfather.
To be honest, the last thing on my mind this week was my Thirsty Thursday post! But here I am on Saturday, playing catch up. It's memorial day weekend so I'm re-releasing an oldie from my old blog archives!
These watermelon ice cubes are game changing for any beverage... but especially a margarita! I LOVE them for the summer time. They make any libation special and even more delicious.
- fresh squeezed orange juice, 1/2 cup
- water, 1/2 cup
- organic white sugar, 1/2 cup
- tequila,1/2 cup (of your choice)
- fresh lime juice, 3/4 cup
- fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup
- cold water, 1/4 cup
- 1/4th of a medium sized watermelon
- ice cube trays
- kosher salt or coarsely ground sea salt
- mint leaves, for garnish
- orange, 1, thinly sliced, for garnish
- lime wedges, 2, for garnish
- Remove seeds and rind of watermelon. Cut into cubes. Puree in a blender or food processor. Pour into ice trays and freeze. During this time, make the simple syrup by combining the orange juice, water, and sugar in a small sauce pan. Heat the ingredients until dissolved. Pour into a glass jar and place in the refrigerator to cool. Wait until the syrup is cold and the watermelon frozen to proceed.
- Pour a thin layer of salt onto a small plate. Using one of the limes you squeezed, run the wet edge along the rim of your glass. Dip the top of your glass into the salt to catch it. Add an orange slice to the glass.
- Fill a small cocktail shaker with 3-4 watermelon ice cubes and pour in the tequila, fresh lime juice, lemon juice, cold water and 3 tablespoons of the simple syrup. Add the lid and lightly shake for 30 seconds. Pour contents of cocktail shaker into your glass. Garnish with fresh mint and a slice of lime. CHEERS!
- Note: add more simple syrup to meet your taste preference.