Happy thirsty Thursday! I love me a good hot or cold beverage. Yes yes water is good... but sometimes you want a little something more! Plus, there are SO many nutrition packed, fun, and beautiful beverages out there! So I thought doing a weekly Thirsty Thursday on the blog would be fun. :)
For the first one, I am re-releasing the recipe for one of my all time favs-- golden milk. Its all the rage right now- and rightfully so! I drink this “golden milk” daily as part of my night time routine! It is just a peaceful and enjoyable to wind down from the day.
Turmeric it is the Indian spice responsible for the yellow color of curry! It has many known medicinal properties. It is perhaps most well know for it’s anti-inflammatory properties. Acute (short-term) inflammation is needed for our bodies to fight pathogens; however, it is when this inflammation gets out of hand and becomes chronic (long-term) that it becomes a serious problem! This type of inflammation plays a major role in most disease states including heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, Alzheimer’s and cancer. Even daily physically and emotional stressors are inflammatory to our bodies. Turmeric's anti-inflammatory properties and many other health benefits can be attributed largely to its main active ingredient—curcumin. Curcumin is a very strong antioxidant- protecting our bodies from the destruction of free radicals. Unfortunately, curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream…. however, we have a solution- black pepper. Black pepper contains piperine- which increases curcumin’s bioavailability by 2000%!
Can be severed warm or iced!
- almond milk, unsweetened,1 – 1 ½ cups
- coconut cream, 1 ½ tbsp- this is a GAME CHANGER!
- turmeric, ½- ¾ tsp
- cinnamon, a few dashes/shakes
- maple syrup, 1 tsp
- black pepper, a few dashes/shakes
- optional add-ins: vanilla, nutmeg and ground ginger.
- If you want warm golden milk, heat coconut milk with coconut cream over stove-top or via microwave.
- Combine hot or cold milk and all of the ingredients into a blender. Blend for about 20 seconds- until combined and frothy. If you want it chilled, pour over ice.