Do you buy your honey at the local supermarket? If so, chances are your honey isn’t even real honey.
Almost all honey in the grocery store has been ultra-filtered and pasteurized. This process involves heat and extreme pressure with the end goal of removing all “impurities” (pollen, propolis etc) found in raw honey. (AKA removing all of the good, healthful stuff….)
This process voids honey from much of it’s previous nutritional wealth — like most other processed or pasteurized foods.
RAW, unfiltered, unprocessed honey contains all of the natural vitamins/minerals, enzymes, antioxidants and other nutrients that make honey such an incredible food for its nutritional and medicinal values.
Why would processing be advantageous for the honey packers? Well, pollen is the only sure-fire way of tracing honey’s origin. And guess what? As much as 1/3rd of all US honey comes from China. Chinese honey has a history of being contaminated with antibiotics, heavy metals, and corn syrup. (EEEKKKKK!!!) (Asian honey is banned in Europe.. but not here.)
Here are some of the health benefits of RAW honey:
Raw honey contains phytonutrients that have been shown to be helpful in cancer and tumors treatment.
- Raw honey has antiseptic properties. It can be used topically to treat infection, burns, and wounds.
- Raw honey contains a substance called propolis— a resin that the honeybees produce to seal all the crooks and crannies of their hive. This “glue” contains nutrients that have antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties.
- Raw honey contains vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6, and a large amount of vitamin C. Calcium, magnesium and phosphate are a few of the minerals it provides.
- Honey can be used to treat stomach problems such as gastroenteritis and ulcers, improve cholesterol levels, and treat seasonal allergies. Honey also has a lower glycemic index than other sugars so it is ideal for better blood sugar control.
- Raw, local honey is successfully used to treat seasonal allergies.
Your best bet… support local bees!! Buy from your local beekeeper! In supporting local beekeepers, you are encouraging them and giving them the recourses needed to continue their beekeeping practice. The bee population is dwindling quickly due to pesticides, other chemicals, electromagnetic radiation, loss of food, and pathogens such as mites, viruses and fungi. Without honey bees, the majority of the plants we eat will not be possible. Honey bees are absolutely critical to our food system. Beekeepers truly love their hives- they fend for them and do everything they can to give them a fighting chance to succeed year after year in the face of draught, famine, predators, and our changing world. You can often find local honey at your farmer’s market. If that is not available to you, try a natural food store- look for raw, unfiltered and unpasteurized (preferably local)!
Note: Raw honey will be more solid and cloudy, while pasteurized honey will look crystal clear and syrupy. SUPPORT THOSE LOCAL BEES🐝